Saturday 28 May 2011

Journey's End



This week I went to see a production of R.C. Sheriff's Journey's End produced and directed by David Grindley. I cannot praise it enough. The staging and the acting was wonderful and I just about managed to keep it together before the lights went up. It is a very emotional exerience. I've found that going to the theatre often helps me to see my writing from a different perspective. Every one of the characters in Journey's End is very distinctive and I found myself reflecting on chapter three of my novel; the chapter that I re-worked this week. It is based on dialogue and due to research the character that my protagonist meets is well developed. However, I was writing that chapter through my protagonist rather than about my protagonist meeting this character. As a result it is unbalanced. I need to go back and make sure the balance is redressed. There is no point my novel being full of interesting characters if my protagonist becomes invisible.

No comments:

Post a Comment