Friday 10 June 2011

Talismans

In every issue of Mslexia (a writing magazine), one of the featured writers is asked to describe their writing method. I normally read this section out of curiosity rather than a need to find a method to employ; everybody is different. However, the writer featured in the latest edition – Mary Hoffman – drew my attention more than most. For the first time I came across someone who I can relate to; “you wish you could find an expert to consult for every aspect,” “...you compulsively check e-mail and Twitter, sometimes mid-sentence,” “you find blue ink disturbing,” etc. She mentions something else that applies to me and that is having a talisman that represents the book that I’m writing on. On my desk I have a WW1 postcard with a scene that represents the central scene and title of my novel. I also have a number of photos that I have collected via e-Bay which are close to hand whenever I want to be reminded of what my protagonist is likely to have looked like. Does anyone else have a talisman related to their writing project?

No comments:

Post a Comment