Saturday 2 April 2011

Free Books

My current bibliography is rather extensive and somehow I don’t think I have identified every book that I need to read. Also people have a habit of continually publishing them. This means study can be expensive and any savings are always welcome. The majority can be found through the library system but I just wanted to highlight Project Gutenberg and archive.org with regard to novels. These sites are fantastic in that the novels are free and I can search the text and copy and paste quotes, which makes things a lot easier. It also means that it doesn’t take a great deal of effort to check out books that might be useful but then aren’t. The only problem is I am an old fashioned book lover and so reading on screen isn’t a pleasurable experience. This week I gave in and after reading the most beautiful book (May Sinclair’s Tree of Heaven) from Project Gutenberg, I caved in and bought a physical version. The recent publishing runs of it are expensive but I managed to find a 1918 edition for under £10. I know I’m missing the point but I loved the book and nothing can replace the feel and smell of book that is nearly one hundred years old.

No comments:

Post a Comment