Wednesday 5 February 2014

Post PhD Hand-In Blues

Since handing in my PhD I've been in the doldrums. Initially I was thrilled that I had completed on time and turned my attentions to preparing agent submissions and Christmas. However, once January arrived I found it difficult to adjust to no longer being obsessed with my study and associated deadlines. I understand that it's important to take time out to relax after such a sustained period of study but I wasn't enjoying it. A basic internet search revealed that what I was experiencing is common amongst PhD students. This week I have tried to change my mindset; focussing on revision for my viva and researching post doctoral options. I am fortunate to have full time employment but it's time for a change; that isn't going to happen unless I get off my backside and start taking practical steps rather than dreaming. 
I have received my first rejection slip from an agent. It wasn't a surprise as I expect to end up with a collection of them. It doesn't matter how many there are as long as there is one expression of interest. 
Here's to a New Year, a new outlook and of course more hard work.  

No comments:

Post a Comment