Saturday 22 January 2011

Hovering

I couldn’t get to sleep the other night. I was thinking about how I am going to take the novel plan and translate that into a narrative. The plan, drafted for one of my MA modules, is written in the first person. As I lay there it was frustrating me that it felt very linear and constrained. I was only seeing the story through the eyes of the lead character. Then I started to view it as if I was hovering above it and all of a sudden the other characters came rushing forward, clamouring to be heard. The lead character is an unreliable narrator and this will come over more effectively if I can see her from the perspective of the characters that she interacts with. Yesterday I started to break the plan down into chapters and examine each character in turn. Instantly it feels more comprehensive and there is more material and depth. So, that is the question of point of view answered.

No comments:

Post a Comment