Sunday 13 February 2011

Private Peaceful


I am taking every opportunity to immerse myself in the world in which my novel is set. This week I went to see a stage adaptation of Michael Morpurgo’s Private Peaceful. The novel is written for children but the play is equally aimed at children and adults. Private Peaceful (acted superbly by Mark Quartley) spends the night before his execution for cowardice, looking back over his life. Once again, I come back to the importance of story. It sounds so obvious but if you are going to write a novel you must have a story; a strong and beautiful thread that leads the reader through the world that you have created so that by the end they have a sense of satisfaction about the place in which they end up. Every incident that Morpurgo uses from Private Peaceful’s childhood is used to illustrate an aspect of that character but they are also subtly linked to create the story; otherwise it would just be eighty minutes of reminiscences.
Morpurgo is a previous Children’s Laureate and the author of War Horse, the stage adaptation of which is the most incredible play that I have ever seen. If you ever get the opportunity to see it, please take it.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting that you are completing your first novel via the PhD route. Last June I completed the London City University Graduate Certifcate in Novel Writing(Mike Clarke was a peer student on that course, I found your blog via a link with his) - an former graduate who came to talk with us in the final term also took your route. A while back on my blog I posted that I felt as if writing a novel is like completing a PhD - a very similar process . I have not taken this route but instead have a writing mentor - Emma Sweeney - with whom I have monthly tutorials. She sees everything I write. This is a tremedous help is structuring the process developing plot and characters - (it all change over time!) for me. I also am interested in war stories - Have you read Alone in Berlin -by Hans Fallada or A Woman in Berlin ? (not your period of interest for this novel but very gripping reads). The best fiction does reflect true life experiences I think - if not in the plot, in the characterisations;I was envious of your delving through those letters at the Imperial War Museum for your research.
    Good luck with it all and keep in touch maybe? I shall follow your progress with interest.
    Bren Gosling

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bren,
    Thanks for taking the time out to post your comment. You a right, writing a novel is like doing a PhD. I really enjoy studying as well as writing so this is a good route for me. However, balancing a novel and a thesis is like spinning plates and I've only just started. Having a mentor is great, it really helps to have a sounding board.
    I haven't read the novels you mentioned. My first novel (not yet finished but I will go back to it) is part based in WW2 but I read mainly epistolary and pacifist novels for that one. Good luck with your writing. Sam.

    ReplyDelete