Wednesday 5 August 2009

Going Historical

A wonderful day. I have been working on my second novel plan (the plan is one of my assignments for next year). Again, an historical novel. I had done some initial research on my idea and drafted an outline which I was content with. However, I knew that once I started carrying out more detailed research I would find that certain elements could not have happened in the way that I planned. This is always a disconcerting moment but I cannot explain the feeling that I get when the story and the characters start to emerge from the detailed research. Wish I didn't have to go to work tomorrow and could carry on immersing myself in my study.

1 comment:

  1. The first creative writing handbook! And possibly the clearest of them all when it comes to plot:

    The basis of every piece of fiction is the story, a sequence of events arranged in time. If there is a causal relationship between the events arranged in time, it is called a plot - thoughts, actions, dialogues etc. irrelevant to that causal sequence are not part of the plot, though they may be essential to the work of fiction (think of the first sentence of Pride and Prejudice...)

    Deborah

    ReplyDelete